Plaits by Mutable Instruments
Price match guarantee. If you find a cheaper price, we'll match it. Write us
Plaits is the spiritual successor of Mutable Instruments’ best-selling voltage-controlled sound source, Braids. Not just a mkII version: its hardware and software have been redesigned from scratch.
Just like its predecessor, it offers direct access to a large palette of easily tweakable sounds, covering the whole gamut of synthesis techniques. What has changed is the interface: gone are the screen, menu system, hidden settings, and the long list of somewhat redundant synthesis models.
Thanks to additional CV inputs, and to the use of 3 timbre-shaping parameters per model, Plaits is straightforward to use, and much closer to the ideal of one synthesis technique = one model. What were fragmented islands of sound in Braids are now part of a continuum of sounds.
- Two detuned virtual analog oscillators with continuously variable waveforms
- Variable slope triangle oscillator processed by a waveshaper and wavefolder
- 2-operator FM with continuously variable feedback path
- Two independently controllable formants modulated by a variable shape window (VOSIM, Pulsar, Grainlet, Casio CZ-style resonant filter…)
- 24-harmonic additive oscillator
- Wavetable oscillator with four banks of 8x8 waves, with or without interpolation
- Granular sawtooth or sine oscillator, with variable grain density, duration and frequency randomization
- 8 layers of dust/particle noise processed by resonators or all-pass filters
- Analog kick drum emulation (two flavors)
- Analog snare drum emulation (two flavors)
- Analog high-hat emulation (two flavors)
- Size: 12HP
- Depth: 25mm
- Power: 50 mA +12V, 5 mA -12V