Elements by Mutable Instruments
Price match guarantee. If you find a cheaper price, we'll match it. Write us
Elements is a full-blown synthesis voice based on modal synthesis, an under-appreciated flavour of physical modelling synthesis with a strange and abstract feel.
Elements combines an exciter synthesis section generating raw, noisy sounds characteristic of bowing (filtered friction noise), blowing (pitch-controlled granular noise), or striking (stick, mallet, hammer or brush sample playback… or bursts of synthetic impulsions).
These sources, or external audio signals, are processed by a modal filter bank – an ensemble of 64 tuned band-pass filters simulating the response of various resonant structures (plates, strings, tubes…) with adjustable brightness and damping. A stereo ambience reverberator adds depth and presence to the sound.
- Three generators with mixer: bowing noise, blowing noise, percussive impulses
- Envelope contour for bowing and blowing
- Bowing noise generator: particle-like scratching noise with 2-pole low-pass filter
- Blowing noise generator: granular pitched noise with wavetable-like scanning between various tone colors
- Percussive impulse generator: interpolates through a collection of impulsive excitations
- All exciter and resonator parameters have a dedicated CV input with attenuverter
- Strength input, for amplitude control of the exciter section
- Frequency control through a V/O input controlling the main resonator frequency, and an FM input
- Two audio inputs: one pre-envelope and diffuser, the other patched straight to the resonator
- Stereo audio output, with adjustable width/reverberation. It is also possible to output the raw exciter signal on one channel, and the raw resonator signal on the other
- Size: 34HP
- Power: 130 mA +12V, 10 mA -12V