- Generate 3
Generate 3 by Joranalogue
Price match guarantee. If you find a cheaper price, we'll match it. Write us
Any signal can be expressed in terms of a few parameters: frequency, phase, amplitude and timbre. It is through modulation of these aspects that synthesists create electronic sound. With Generate 3, it is now possible to create a signal and control all its parameters by through-zero modulation within a single 12 HP wide module.
Everything starts with the exceptionally precise triangle-core voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) at the module’s heart. Through-zero linear frequency modulation (FM) enables rich yet pitch-stable FM sounds, by allowing the oscillator to run backwards into ‘negative frequencies’.
The resultant triangle wave is then processed by the through-zero phase modulator, providing a total phase shift range of 900°. Phase modulation offers an interesting alternative for FM, as it enables deep FM-type tones without actually changing the oscillation frequency.
The timbre of a signal is determined by its harmonic content. This full set of harmonics can be grouped into three main parts: the fundamental, even and odd harmonics. Generate 3’s harmonics generator separates out these three timbral ‘channels’. By adjusting their relative amplitudes, a vast array of different waveforms can be created, including but not limited to the classic sine, saw and square waves.
- High-stability precision analogue triangle-core VC(LF)O with fine and coarse tuning.
- Waveform outputs: core (triangle), fundamental (sine), even (saw), odd and full (mix of timbral channels).
- 1 volt/octave pitch tracking over the full audio range.
- Exponential frequency modulation with polariser knob.
- Through-zero linear frequency modulation with symmetry/modulation polariser knob, and AC-coupling and bias switches.
- Through-zero phase modulation with 900° of shift range.
- Through-zero amplitude modulation of three timbral channels: fundamental, even and odd harmonics.
- Two simultaneous oscillator synchronisation types: reset (hard sync) and flip (soft sync).
- LF mode for LFO use. Ultra-wide total frequency range: 2.8 mHz (6 minutes) to 27 kHz, a range of nearly 10,000,000:1!
- Impedance-compensated outputs with dual-colour LEDs.
- Trim potentiometer accessible from the front panel.
- Size: 12HP
- Depth: 30mm
- Power: +12: 130 mA, −12: 115 mA